Obituaries Condolences Grief Support Preplanning Community Calendar Services Merchandise Helpful Info
Leota Hurlbut --- Sylvan Grove KS
Edward Belvill --- Lincoln KS
JoAnn Huehl --- Lincoln KS
Kathryn Hall --- Lincoln KS
Earlene Auclair --- Abilene KS
Carolyn Farris --- Lincoln KS
Warren Long --- Lincoln KS

John Sheldon - Lincoln KS
12/8/1926 - 2/25/2016

John Alden Sheldon, 89, of Lincoln, KS, died Thursday, February 25, 2016, in Lincoln. John was born in Lincoln, on December 8, 1926, to Walter and Mabel (Chapman) Sheldon.

He was preceded in death by his: parents; wife, Edith (Sorensen) Sheldon; and sister, Bessie (Sheldon) Sorensen; and great-granddaughter, Darlynn Kemling.

Left to celebrate his life include: son, Walter (Leanne) Sheldon, of Lincoln; daughter, Georgie (Bud) DeArvil, of Salina; brothers, Paul (Eleanor), of Clarkston,WA, Ben (Pauline), of Pasco, WA, and Freddie (Benji), of Abilene; brother-in-law, A.L. (Junior) Sorensen, of Lincoln; grandchildren, Ann (Glenn) Peeler, Sheldon (Wendy) DeArvil, Rebecca (David) Johnson, James (Stephanie) DeArvil, Sunshine (Dustin) McEwen, Lori (Brian) Kemling, Joni (Nathan) Pearce, Joseph (Elizabeth) Sheldon; great-grandchildren, Garnet, Morgan, Mason, Sierra, Sydney, Kailey, Logan, Isaac, Koby, Jaida, Sreya, Sajen, Daniel, Aria, Creede, Ethney, and Ivee.

Visitation: 1-7:00 P.M. Sunday, February 28th, at Hall Chapel, Lincoln. Family present 5-7:00 P.M.

Funeral: 2:00 P.M. Monday, February 29th, at Hall Chapel, with interment following in Lincoln City Cemetery.

Memorials may be made to Lincoln County Hospital or Denmark Hall.

Some called him "Audie," others called him "Shelly", or John; we called him dad, grandpa or great-grandpa.

John Alden was born to Walter and Mabel (Chapman) Sheldon on December 8th, 1926. He was born in the old Lincoln Hospital. He grew up on a farm west of Lincoln Kansas that his dad had purchased from Bert Darby. It was located near the Spillman Bridge, on Old Highway 18.

He attended the Vesper schools. The school bus he remembered was a panel truck with no windows and planks for seats. One day in the 1930s, the dust was so thick that the bus turned around and took everyone back home. In the 4th grade he received an achievement award for spelling. He had a very neat cursive handwriting, which he maintained all of his life.

He graduated from high school in 1944 and enlisted in the Navy in December 1944. He had a choice of serving on a ship or in the air; he chose the air. Aptitude tests showed that he was better suited to being a radio operator than a cook or a mechanic. He was competent in various message systems, and could send and receive Morris code.

He flew in Lockheed's Ventura PV-1 & PV-2 planes while performing sub-hunter missions along the Atlantic Coast and in the Caribbean. He received an honorable discharge in July 1946, having earned the WWII Victory Medal, and the American Campaign Medal while serving in the Navy.

He married Edith Mae Sorensen on November 13th, 1947. He and Edith became farmer/ranchers and lived their entire married life in Lincoln County. Two children were born to John and Edith; Georgie Ann (DeArvil), and Wally. They had 8 grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren.

In his early married years, he played town-team baseball with the Lincoln Hawks. When he was caught-up on his farm work, he also enjoyed coyote hunting with Earl Lonberger, among others, using greyhounds. They'd load the dogs in their pickups and tear around county roads and pastures on Sunday afternoons.

In 1993, John and Edith moved into town and they semi-retired from farming. John remained involved especially in the cattle operations. Cattle were his and Edith's favorite part of their agricultural life. He helped with crop and feed duties as much as he could.

After the move to Lincoln, John became a frequent visitor at the Mighty Mart. He would have coffee or a soft drink, and would catch up on the "news". He would clarify that the "news" was not always accurate.

After being married for almost 62 years, Edith passed away in November 2009. With the ever faithful help of Carol Wise, and of his children and their spouses, John was able to live at home until his illness in late January, 2016.

» View what others have shared.

» Sign Guest Book
About Us Contact Us